Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Devious (?) Review




I'm getting old waiting for this thing to come out...

It's kind of odd reviewing a story before it actually comes out, but seeing as it was supposed to be out a long time ago and no news have been given, I've decided to give this forgotten oddity a look. Devious is a fanfilm in the making since 1999, which focuses on events between the Troughton and Pertwee eras, specifically a forgotten Doctor between(gee, did Moffat see this or what?)

PLOT

Mid-regeneration, the Second Doctor is snatched up by some other Time Lords and becomes the 2.5th Doctor. He has several adventures on a forest planet, involving an emperor and Daleks, a guy called Covellitor, Polly and the Cybermen etc. and lots of people die.
Eventually, he is recaptured and forced to finish his regeneration inside the TARDIS where the spectral form of a frighteningly skeletal Jon Pertwee turns him into the Third Doctor and leads him to land on Earth in the 20th century.

Personally, I prefer season 6b.

CHARACTERS

Most of the cast and crew here are amateurs, with the obvious exception of Jon Pertwee, whose final performance still manages to be strong, despite his age and lack of anybody equal to work with.

Tony Garner is alright(and I really like the look they gave his Doctor) and he does look like a cross between Troughton and Pertwee, but his acting skills need a little refining. There's just an odd forced moment here and there. Still, he's got talent I think.

NOTES

*Why am I doing this, you may ask? Because it was on the DVD and I felt like I had to.

*What in-story reason is there for the Third Doctor to look so old or for the wristband that appears after the regeneration is complete?

*Apparently the Doctor isn't the only Time Lord who feels he has to wear glasses to look cool.

*Why does the Time Lord with the magic feather taunt the Doctor?

*I did like the scene with the TARDIS and the Doctor in limbo. Because limbo's cool. It was atmospheric and well done for what it's worth.

BEST QUOTE

"I demand to know!" God, that's so fake it cracks me up.

CONCLUSION

Meh.

No comments:

Post a Comment