Sunday, October 11, 2015

Time-Heist (2014) Review




"Listen, if you lost 456 kids, that's on you. I don't see what I have to do with it."


NOTE: This is my original review of this episode that I made on GateWorld Forum in 2014.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time Heist is good popcorn Doctor Who, but not something you'd watch again.

PLOT

The Doctor, Clara, a hacker and a shape shifter rob a bank. Only they fail. And then it turns out they planned the robbing. And then it turns out it was a rescue mission in the name of some old, bitter lady. 

CHARACTERS

The guest stars are all forgettable, besides the "antagonist". Seriously, Moffat could change his name to MILFet.

Peter Capaldi's still great with his dry wit, but he needs someone to play off of, like Blackadder had Baldrick. The closest we got was the fantastic final line.

I like Clara's sexy outfit. I also am rather fond of her developing relationship with Danny. Yeah, I'm actually fond of her after a while.

NOTES

*I hate the undoing of the characters' deaths and also the fact it wasn't a real heist. And even if it was, it would've been a crappy one, since we never saw the planning. In Farscape, the bank rob was one of the coolest things the show did, because the characters came up with wacky plans, things went increasingly worse, two brilliant villains were involved, it was personal for the characters, it genuinely felt unpredictable and the bank wasn't empty. Y'know, despite it NOT being anything, but a bank for criminals unlike the big galaxy one here. By the time they left, the main lead was literally half-insane. This is just painfully disappointing.
(2015 Note: Okay, so I may have been expecting way too much from this episode, but still, the heist was very lazy.)

*Psy has bigger eyebrows, why isn't he the leader? I'd rather hope the Doctor relied on his 2000 years of experience.

*How did the Doctor guess the woman was gonna call her? If it had been Missy, yeah, but it was just some random lady.

*The "word turns out to be literal" joke has been old since 2005.

*Same goes for humans being legally creepy murderers.

*I miss Capaldi's brighter costume. The new one looks too casual to be cool.
(2015 Note: Wait til you see the hoodie!)

*Have I commented on the intro yet? Because it's probably one of my favorites ever. 

*I don't think William Russell's gonna drag himself to the next episode so... *sigh*. 

*After 2000 years, "embarrassing" is all you have to say of old Eleven? 
(2015 Note: Well, 1200 years to be exact.)

BEST LINE

Doctor: "Don't rob any banks what?"
Clara: "Without me."
Doctor: "Course not, boss." *turns around* "Robbing a bank. Robbing a whole bank. Beat that for a date."

CONCLUSION

A mediocre let-down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment